Thursday 26 April 2012

Skype...Yipee!

Last decade's must have gadgets must look silly to the next generation. I am grateful that cutting edge technology has made it easier for my five year old to connect to his dad who is away. No more costly phone bills, just expensive gadgets. I myself though still prefer phones that are attached to the wall.

Remember when all you had was the rotary dial house telephones, or that when making a call requires you to look for coins and the phone booth? (I feel like all these new gadgets just took away half the fun) and then it was the cordless phones and now you have smart phones...kids nowadays would probably think what kind of device is this... a phone stuck on the wall? whoever heard of such a thing? a phone on the wall? My five year old looks at me incredulously when I ask him to answer the house phone. He has this "You have got to be kidding" look when he picks it up.

Or remember the time when you thought it was fashionable to have one of those walkmans? discmans? and jogging around the neighbourhood with your ears all covered with the headphones. Nowadays I see children going around with those match box ipods complete with uncountable list of songs and really tiny barely there earphones. And of course no old neighbourhood jog for them, you must belong to a fitness club.

Even super size computers are revamped and resized to the shape of my palm! I used to go around with a separate bag just for the laptop. Emails replacing letters. I miss those moments when you see the postman and you get all gleeful that someone thought of you and wrote an actual letter...Now, it is instant messaging, facebook, twitter, skype and other social applications on the world wide web. Now, if I do get anything from the postman, they are only bills and reminders. Crap!

And now even my watch has become a piece of jewellery. If you look around you everything comes with a digital display of the time. In the kitchen on the microwave, on the TV decoder or the DVD player, your telephone and even this computer, right at the right hand corner. I step out of the apartment, I see the clock on the KLCC tower. So who needs a watch?

My five year old couldn't care less, as I reminisce all these long-forgotten gadgets...to him Baba  (his father) is on the screen...Mekkah suddenly is just a click away.Grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment