Saturday 28 April 2012

Clowning Around

My five year old is always looking for ways to entertain himself and always a smile on his face. Today he decided to be a clown's apprentice. A happy child is a blessing, and Saud is like sunshine to me. Even if it is pouring, I hope he will learn to dance in the rain.

When my first son was born, I think we went all out...bought all the things we thought we would need; a crib, a moses basket, a playpen, bottle steamer, you name it - we had it. The bottle steamer was of course the most used item next to the travel system stroller. If  he drops the pacifier, another is on hand and the pacifier is washed and back in the steamer. We were excited over everything he does. A camera is never far behind to take those precious moments...his first step, first birthday, first everything. If he coughed, we would think it the end of the world and drove straight to the doctor.

Then three years later, came the second boy. Somehow, with him we were a little relax. OK, a lot relax. Perhaps because we were no longer new to parenting. He drops his pacifier, we applied the one second rule ~ just say Bismillah and wipe the pacifier with the back of my hand and back into his mouth. And by the third child, forget the pacifier! As we were always travelling between Malaysia and Saudi Arabia, the children hardly get any hand-me-downs.  Basic needs such as stroller and babies crib were always new too because it is troublesome to bring them back and forth.

I would like to think that I treat my children equally and that they have a balance life. If I buy anything, it comes in three so that nobody feels left out. So when my second born started displaying certain characteristics, which bring me up the wall, I've been reminded about the 'second child syndrome'. Is there really a second child syndrome? This 'second child traits' which I see often in my second born is he does things that get him into trouble, simply as a way of seeking attention from me. Other than that, he is the exact opposite of what has been described in most psychology books.

They say second born may not respond to your bout of affection as a way of probably making you feel guilty about not giving him enough time.  With  Saud, he's always kissing or hugging me, his older brother and anyone who remotely gives him any attention. In fact, sometimes he follows me while his brothers wait at home. I try to give him more attention specifically because I wanted to avoid creating second child traits. There is a 3 year plus gap between him and his older brother, and a 2 year gap between him and his younger brother.

The books I read also say that the second child may be a loner...Saud loves company. If my mum or my sister, pays us a visit, he would ask without fail, " I love you Grandma/Auntie Lind.Come sleep in my house." He hates it when they leave. I also read that second child hates to be compared to his siblings, with Saud it is not so. He always have this nonchalant look when I tell him not to miss behave. And when I scold his brothers, he would flash a big grin and says "I am good right, Mama." It is not question, rather a statement.

Saud told his Grandma in the car today that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, is named after him and not the other way around. We named him Saud, because he was born in Saudi. Around the time he was born, my husband was close to a member of the Al-Saud royal family. A week after he was born, we still didn't have a name. We were on the telephone with my mum in Malaysia when my husband told her we were considering Saud, and mum told him, "Oh, Noreen' s great great grandfather's name was also Saud." So hubby decided that was it.

Saud is derived from the Arabic word Sa'eed which  means happiness. It also carries the meaning of fortunate, wellness and felicity.  Felicity is of Latin origin and the meaning too, is happy. The meaning of the name, maketh the person, I've been told. If so I am indeed Grateful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment