Saturday 7 April 2012

The Kids And Uncle


My children spending the day with their uncle Jimmy on one of his rare visits. Grateful!
My parents came from a small family, from my father's side ; three uncles of which two passed away a long time ago and from my mum's side I have three uncles and one passed away I think before I was born.
My uncle Wahab or Pak Cu as he is fondly known (on dad's side)  who lived in Ipoh and Pak Long (mum's older brother) who lived in Terengganu were considered far but they would always come down when there was something important concerning us and the rest of our relatives in Kuala Lumpur. We often get wedding invitations from my father's relatives and I try to attend just to get to know them better. It is always nice to see people, who although for the live of me cannot recall meeting them when I was four, they remembered me as the tiny Noween.
Pak Uda (mum's youngest brother) lives in Taman Tun and he visits my mum weekly. Pak Uda's special request when he comes visiting is teh tarik and condensed milk. Without fail, he would bring up about his 17 years living in Sydney "I am a Sydneysider" stories and we would nudge each other's elbows and give that "here-we-go-again" look. But, respect and love for him, we would patiently listen over and over again as he tell his tales.
I remembered my late uncle Pak Chek Karim, the third among four brothers (on dad's side) because he too comes to visit us on weekends and if I remember right he used to stay with us for awhile. It was always a delight for me when Pak Chek was around, I would sit on his lap and he would love me as much as his own. He continued to visit us even after my dad's demise. In May of 2002, although my uncle's health was failing he still managed to put a smile and attend my wedding, sitting with me and my groom. Sadly a few months later, Pak Chek passed away (Al-Fatihah).
I am glad I still have uncles, aunts and my uncles' wives who are still too close to us. Just like how I was close to some of mine, and now having my own nephews and nieces, we too have a really close relationship.  I hope someday when they understand and can appreciate family ties, I want my children to get to know and have a strong relationship with their uncles and aunts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment