Wednesday 4 April 2012

Let There Be Lights!


Seven hours and still counting...of power failure...no lights, no air conditioner, no TV...I know what I'll be grateful for today...electricity! This picture was taken in the hallway, the only place we had any form of electricity powered convenience.

Now it is almost noon, Thursday 5th April, and we are still without power. Hmmmm! I always thought staying in a hotel would be an ideal life...when others would complain about electricity power failure or water ration, cleaning up house or making the beds....I scoffed at all these ideas. I said to my kids "We will live in a hotel!" because that won't happen at a hotel. NEVER. Or so I thought.

So we have been staying on and off in this hotel suite the longest would be two months, when we return to Malaysia for the last seven years. This time around we are living here indefinitely...right now it is close to seven months and we are really enjoying all the facilities. No power failure, air conditioner 24 hours a day, water when you want when the rest of Kuala Lumpur are rationing their supply, cleaners would come to make the beds and clean the apartment plus we can have room service all day. What a life! (I am not boasting, mind you but wouldn't anyone wants to have such an uninterrupted easy life?)

Yesterday, (I couldn't post this earlier because the computer couldn't be charged) after a brief walk in the park, I found the hotel staff looking a tad worried...I too wore the same look when news of the power failure was announced. Two hours without the convenience, I can tolerate. But i t is now close to 24 hours without power supply...not so much I can't use the computer or watch my favourite shows on TV or that I have to entertain the children the old fashion way, with paint books and colours...now it bothers me that the meat, dairy products and  other food would be spoilt.

So after 24 hours I am so thankful that we have all these infrustractures such as electricity, transportations, highways, public wash rooms at our disposal. Those hours reminded me of the simple life that even if I don't have them for a few hours, I shouldnt take things for granted. As for life in the hotel, I am having second thoughts. There is always something to be grateful for even the simplest thing life has to offer, and I for one am most grateful should the power be back on ...I have to go because the computer is running out of battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment