Friday 16 March 2012

To Grandma With Love


Alhamdulillah! My son has a great relationship with Grandma a.k.a My Mum.

Almost everyday, we go to my mum's house. Tofe, the eldest of three boys, makes it a point to look for his grandma. If she is not in the kitchen, he would run upstairs, knock on the door and tell her..."Grandma, I'm here!"

I love that he loves going back to "kampung" in Kuala Lumpur and for both mum and Tofe, they have someone to talk to. My mum who lives alone with the maid loves company and everyday waits for the occasional visitors. Tofe loves to talk, he will happily chat with the cleaners at the hotel or greet people in the elevators or anyone who will lend him their ears. Gee, I wonder where he got the gift of the garb.

Anyway, Tofe usually has something new to tell her which she would later relate. Mum told me of the recent conversation that took place. She was spraying on a perfume the boys bought for her, when he entered and sat on the bed. He looked at my mum from head to toe, all dressed up and said "You know Grandma, Malaysia is so expensive, "(in a matter of fact tone) all the while nodding his head to emphasise that statement, he continued "Everything here is expensive.That perfume you put on, it is expensive." That statement alone was enough to bring laughter from my mum, especially coming from her 8 year old grandson. "You know in Saudi, I buy toys at 2 riyal, here it is 10 riyal (he still doesn't know to say the word ringgit, the Malaysia currency) And then comes the hint "Not even enough to buy ice cream."

And so like any other day, they would come down and sit in front of the TV. Tofe would say "From this time to this time it's my turn ok, Grandma"...and they'll watch cartoon together. And Grandma would make french toast or banana fritters and juice and yes, buy ice cream from the ice cream man on the bike. Tofe would brief her on who is who, which alien Ben 10 is fighting and they would both laugh at Courage the Cowardly Dog (I am not sure of the name of the cartoon character). And come 6.30pm, he would give mum the remote, "Now it's your turn to watch TV, Grandma." That is how he spends time with my mum when we stay in. 

Today, I had to pack my stuff  because we will be moving soon to another place. Over dinner, Tofe tells his dad what he did the whole day. And when we were discussing moving, Tofe said to his father, "Baba, when we move to a new house, can we bring Grandma to live with us?"
"Sure, of course"
"....eerr, can we buy two TVs?"
 "Why?"
"Because I don't want to fight with Grandma everyday for the TV!"

I am thankful that my son Tofe gets to  bond with my mum. He can always go to her, just like I did when I was younger, to ask her for anything and talk to her about everything. When it is time to say goodbye, Tofe would give mum that Big Hug that says I Love You, Grandma and I will see you tomorrow. Even I, his mum don't get hugs from him like that everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment