Wednesday 28 March 2012

Movies, Anyone?

I love old classic movies and watching reruns on DVDs. I wish they would bring back Ted Turner's Classic Channel on Astro pay TV like they did when they first started operations. Give me a good classic movie and I would gladly stay home, curl up on the couch. It can be any P.Ramlee's comedy. Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho and other whodunits, Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Mary Poppins, Charade, Wizard of Oz and How to Marry A Millionaire to name a few.

I am grateful for old classic movies.Watching the movies' transition from black and white to colour evokes a kind of feeling and emotion, some are just great movies that has stood the test of time. It gives me a glimpse of life back then, a blast from the past from fashions to buildings, life in the 60sand 70s,takes you to locations such as Paris and Manhattan, the yellow cabs of New York, men in those nice suits, those rotary dial house phones, the lives of the von Trapp family set in Salzburg, Austria. And who doesn't love I Dream of Jeannie or Samantha Stephens of the Bewitched sitcom chronicling what happens when a witch and a mortal fall in love and get married in 1960s - '70s suburban America.

Here is another thing about the past ~ classic movie postesr! I could have picked one of the most iconic images of Audrey Hepburn in the little black Givenchy dress, her Oliver Goldsmith sunglasses and carrying an oversized cigarette holder, but opted for a classic movie poster of Breakfast at Tiffany's because they just don't make these kind of posters anymore when advertising the coming of a movie. And this is one of my favourite classics, and perhaps the film that catapulted Miss Hepburn to stardom in the early 60s and lead to an Oscar nomination of  Best Actress in a Leading Role.



I especially love the beginning of the movie, it starts in the early morning in New York City, a yellow taxi pulls up at Tiffany & Co. on Fifth Avenue and Holly Golightly (Hepburn) emerges. She eats a danish pastry and drinks coffee while standing outside the shop window, then strolls home. It is about a socialite who wants to marry rich and ends up falling for the struggling writer who moved into her building. The movie is loosely based on the same novel by Truman Capote.

Holly Golightly: I'll tell you one thing, Fred, darling... I'd marry you for your money in a minute. Would you marry me for my money?
Paul Varjak: In a minute.
Holly Golightly: I guess it's pretty lucky neither of us is rich, huh?
Paul Varjak: Yeah.
Always make me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment