Monday 21 May 2012

Taking Care Of Mum


Took my mum to visit an aunt and as I looked at my cousin who was taking care of her mum, bathing, dressing and feeding her, I can only hope that if one day I were in the same position, I would have the courage and strength to take care of my mum too. Grateful for a little "kesedaran."

My aunt is over 80 years old. Every five minutes she would ask me, "Anak siapa?" and five minutes later she would ask me again who I was. "Sam (the name she calls my late father, short for Samad) ada lagi?" and I would tell her no. Although she doesn't remember me anymore, she remembers my father "Sam tu kelakarlah. Baik hati dia." And the look on her face holds fond remembrance of my dad.

Looking at my aunt now, a far cry from how she was in her younger days. Always running somewhere or places to visit. We used to spend our school holidays in Ipoh with  her family. Her husband, my auncle, was a favourite uncle. We used to get paid to watch him, but of course it was the other way around.

As I sat on the couch, watching my cousin coaxing her mum to eat, like a child,singing her mum a nursery rhyme, patientlyfeeding her mum spoon by spoon, I can only make dua that God would reward her, for her sacrifices and that the task she's doing would be easier day by day. It is a little like what I do everyday, feeding and taking care of my own children. If there is a phase where I would be in my cousin's shoes, I pray Allah SWT will make me a good serving daughter that my beloved mum deserves. And should I grow old and be in my aunt's position, I pray too that my children have been raised well to take care of me, as I did them.




No comments:

Post a Comment